At long, long last…I didn’t have time to look up all the quotes I wanted, but I know you guys know the books well enough to know what I’m talking about
1. Carlisle is the role model that kept Edward from killing Bella in the beginning.
“For one short second, I was able to think clearly. In that precious second, I saw two faces in my head, side by side.
One was mind, or rather had been: the red-eyed monster that had killed so many people that I’d stop counting their numbers. Rationalized, justified murders. A killer of killers, a killer of other, less powerful monsters. It wa s a god complex, I acknowledged that – deciding who deserved a death sentence. It was a compromise with myeslf. I had fed on human blood, but only by the loosest definion. My victims were, in their various dark pastimes, barely more human than I was.
The other face was Carlisle’s.
There was no resemblance between the two faces. They were bright day and blackest night…
In a few moments, there would be nothing left in me that would reflect the years I’d spent with my creator, my mentor, my father in all the ways that counted. My eyes would glow red as a devil’s; all likeness would be lost forever.
In my head, Carlisle’s kind eyes did not judge me. I knew that he would fogive me this horrible act that I would do. Because he loved me. Because he thought I was better than I was. And he would still love me, even as I now proved him wrong…
I would prove my father wrong about me. The misery of this fact hurt almost as much as the fire in my throat.” –Edward, Midnight Sun, Ch. 1 (I think)
2. Carlisle gives Esme Isle Esme, which she in turn loans Edward & Bella for their honeymoon.
And we all know what happened there
“Who gives an island as a gift? I frowned. I hadn’t realized Edward’s extreme generosity was a learned behavior.” — Bella, Breaking Dawn, Ch. 5
3. Esma is their “vampire mother hen,” as Jake calls her.
“I snorted. Vampire mother hen – bizarre.” –Jake, Breaking Dawn, Ch. 14
4. Carlisle is the epitome of all that is good. Even the wolves have to admit it.
“If there was such a thing as a safe vampire, it was the strangely gentle leader.” –Jake, Breaking Dawn, Ch. 9
5. Esme loves her adopted children unconditionally.
“She would be for any plan that kept her family intact. Her first priority would not be rightness, but me.” –Edward, about Esme, in Midnight Sun
6. And she keeps them honest when they’re playing ball.
7. Carlisle wouldn’t act to save himself in Breaking Dawn because he wouldn’t want to hurt the wolves.
“Carlisle Cullen. Looking at him without that hate clouding my eyes, I couldn’t deny that killing him was murder. He was good. Good as any human we protected. Maybe better. The others, too, I supposed, but I didn’t feel as strongly about them. I didn’t know them as well. It was Carlisle who would hate fighting back, even to save his own life. That’s why we would be able to kill him – because he wouldn’t want us, his enemies, to die. This was wrong. And it wasn’t just because killing Bella felt like suicide.” –Jake, Breaking Dawn, Ch. 10
8. Carlisle keeps the peace between Rose & Edward – no mean feat at times.
“But I was no longer worried about Rose. I could see that she would go along with Carlisle’s decision, no matter how infuriated she was with me.” –Edward, Midnight Sun, Ch. 4 (I think)
9. Carlisle saved Edward, rather than letting him die of the Spanish Influenza.
And we all owe him BIG for that one.
10. Carlisle didn’t give into “peer pressure” to eat humans when he was living with the Volturi.
11. Carlisle offered Bree the chance to surrender in Eclipse.
As Edward says, only Carlisle would think to offer.
12. Carlisle must have done something right to be able to call in all those favors for witnesses in Breaking Dawn.
13. “If Carlisle was the soul of our family, then Esme was the heart. He gave us a leader who deserved following; she made that following into an act of love.” –Edward, Midnight Sun
I hope you enjoyed! Comment and tell what you love about the heads of the Cullen family